Date:      Thu, 23 May 1996 04:15:39 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew N. Dodd" <winter@jurai.net>
To:        Shaun Finn <sfinn@thecore.com>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>, Glen Foster <gfoster@gfoster.com>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: runaway processes

On Wed, 22 May 1996, Shaun Finn wrote:
> >Glen Foster wrote in message ID
> ><199605222016.QAA00568@ptavv.nsta.org>:
> >> When a user logs off without exiting pine the processes begin using
> >> lots of CPU and cannot be killed with -INT.  Has a fix or workaround
> >> been developed for this?  (Yeah, I know, don't run pine :-)!
> >This is a bug in pine. Try ``kill -9 <PID>''. That should do it nicely
> >:-) There is an update to pine (if I remember), but the new version
> >may have other problems too...
> We have used pine 3.91 thru 3.93 and the problem persists ;-)

I was killing pine-3.91 processes at least twice a day, since upgrading to
3.93 that number is down to one or two a week.

We've got more users now too...  The problem isn't gone, but I've
experienced it alot less.

Have a good one.

| Matthew N. Dodd   | winter@jurai.net    | http://www.jurai.net/~winter    |
| Technical Manager | mdodd@intersurf.net | http://www.intersurf.net        |
| InterSurf Online  | "Welcome to the net Sir, would you like a handbasket?"|