Date:      Tue, 31 Oct 2000 19:52:13 -0800 (PST)
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org, obrien@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Like to commit my diskprep

On 01-Nov-00 Warner Losh wrote:
> In message <20001031132945.B28476@dragon.nuxi.com> "David O'Brien" writes:
>: Since Matt's bits do fix the basic problem, is diskprep OBE except maybe
>: as a wrapper for fdisk & disklabel?
>
> But Matt is unwilling to bring them into current, so they are not a
> contender as far as I'm concerned.  I don't care how wonderful they
> are.  Without someone willing to champion them into -current they
> don't exist as far as I'm concerned.  They also violate the disk
> layering that we need to maintain as we move to new platforms.

Actually, Jordan has already committed them to current.  And they don't
violate layering.  The only layering violation we have is dangerously
dedicated mode when done from disklabel via 'disklabel ad0 auto' instead
of 'fdisk -I ad0 ; disklabel ad0s1 auto', which Matt's fixes actually
let us do now.

> Also, diskprep allows one to "mass produce" disks in such a way that
> you have the same partitioning on all of them, except maybe one "hog"
> slice that picks up the extra bits that different geometries might
> require.

It is a nice utility then, much like adduser is a nice utility.  Whether or not
it belongs in ports or the base system depends on which color of paint you
prefer for your bikesheds..