Date:      Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:32:25 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Silent reboots - how to troubleshoot

Paul English <penglish@hydro.washington.edu> types:
> Hi,
> 	I'm looking for some general newbie-to-freebsd-but-not-UNIX
> instructions on how to troublshoot silent reboots. FreeBSD 4.2 - 4.4

It's on the web site:

> 	They are happening quite frequently on production machines and it
> is very embarrasing. How do I convince the kernel to dump core (and
> where do I find it when it happens)? Where can I locate people capable of
> analyzing said cores?

The kernel debugging doc should help you get a core file, and help you
analyze it to the point where you can email us the function it blew up
in, and the exact line where it croaked along with the panic
message. Any competent C programmer should be able to help you from
there.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.