Date:      Tue, 28 Mar 2006 03:52:23 -0500
From:      "Tamouh H." <hakmi@rogers.com>
To:        "'Doug Hardie'" <bc979@lafn.org>, "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Motherboards

=20
> I have a number of servers that are reaching end of life. =20
> They are over 7 years old and I can no longer find IDE drives=20
> that work with the slower controllers they have.  These are=20
> all towers and use ASUS motherboards.  Those were quite cheap=20
> at the time and the boards have worked very well over the=20
> years.  However, I am now hearing rumers that ASUS=20
> motherboards are no longer the best quality and probably=20
> should be avoided.  Don't need much on the machines, but do=20
> have to have 2 NICs and a SCSI controller on each.  What are=20
> good, rock solid, motherboards with FreeBSD 6.0?

I can't speak for FBSD 6 best motherboard, however, regarding ASUS their =
quality is not as good as it used to be. I deal with number of computer =
suppliers and we're beginning to see more common ASUS motherboard =
problems. In the entry level market if you're going to use Intel CPU =
maybe it is best to stick with Intel boards (they are not flexible, but =
quality wise pretty good). If in AMD, I see NForce chipsets most =
popular.

Tamouh