Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 21:52:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Linh Pham <lplist@closedsrc.org>
To:        Ted Mittelstaedt <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
Cc:        Mark Ibell <marki@paradise.net.nz>, <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: PPP server problem

On 2001-04-23, Ted Mittelstaedt scribbled:

#   then see if it authenticates.  I'd rule out any low-level
# problems in the serial port or modem or you wouldn't see
# "marki" as a username in the log.  It's probably something
# simple such as the password is case sensitive and your
# sending the wrong case, or the /etc/ppp directory is not readable
# by ppp or the files in it aren't readable by ppp, or the
# Windows client is sending a space character in the password
# or the ppp config files have extra characters in them that you
# aren't aware of or something like that.  Note also my comment in the article
# aobut NT4 cleartext being required, if your running NT.  See if
# you can test with a different Windows client if possible.

If the client is running Windows 2000, both MS-CHAP and MS-CHAP v2
should be disabled in many cases to login successfully. To do so, open
up the dial-up icon, choose Properties and under the Security tab,
instead of using the default security, choose Advanced and click the
settings button. Remove the check from both CHAP checkboxes and OK all
the way back out.

We have run into weird problems at times when dialing into a straight
UNIX box when either options were enabled. Providers like Worldcom/UUNet
require those settings to be off no matter what to connect and
authenticate properly.

You don't have to worry about that under Windows NT 4.0 or Windows 95/98
(and probably ME, but since I wouldn't dare to touch that thing with a
20m pole... I wouldn't know.. hehe).

--
Linh Pham
[lplist@closedsrc.org]