Date:      Wed, 14 Jan 2009 08:17:50 +0100
From:      Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>
To:        Andriy Gapon <avg@icyb.net.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: smb(4): address format

Am 13.01.2009 um 13:43 schrieb Andriy Gapon:

> So, in practice, there two conventions of specifying a slave address:
> either as 0XXXXXXXb or XXXXXXX0b.

Device datasheets generally specify the hard-wired or configurable =20
address as a bit string, with a slight preference to format that as =20
bbbb bbb.

> In wider world 0XXXXXXXb format seems to be preferred, Linux also =20
> sticks
> to it.

I personally find having the address right-aligned a sensible choice.  =20=

I think of the address as logical unit, and normally would rather have =20=

the SMBus bit banging abstracted away by the driver/hardware.

=80 0.02,
Stefan

--=20
Stefan Bethke <stb@lassitu.de>   Fon +49 151 14070811