Date:      Tue, 19 Oct 2004 07:18:35 -0600
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: Upgrade feasibility, to AMD64/5.x.x or to stay i386/4.9 on AMD64 hardware?

On Oct 19, 2004, at 2:17 AM, Eirik Oeverby wrote:

>>> This one is gonna be tricky on you, I think.
>>
>> Should work fine.  I was using a 2200S, which uses the same aac =
driver
>> under 5-CURRENT on amd64 a while back before I downgraded to i386
>> version.
>
> Sorry, my mistake.
> That doesn't help my feeling that most Adaptec IDE RAID controllers=20
> are,
> in my experience (YMMV, and please excuse my language), utter crap,
> though. Highpoint, 3Ware, and even Promise are lightyears ahead when =
it
> comes to stability, supportability and performance (mainly due to the
> Adaptecs having a nasty tendency to spew interrupts like mad, making=20=

> the
> system (interrupt) load go berzerk during heavy disk I/O).

This has not been my experience.  I have been running the 2100S (asr)=20
on i386 under 4.x for years now and they are rock solid very high=20
performing cards in my experience.  My lesser experience with the 2200S=20=

(aac) also shows it to be high performing and solid, though my boxes=20
with 2200S and 2410SA are still in test mode.

I don't work for adaptec and am sometimes even greatly annoyed by them,=20=

but their cards have served me well.

I must say I am interested in the Highpoint 1820A SATA raid card=20
though.  Anyone use that one and is it bootable under i386 or amd64?

Thanks
Chad