Date:      Fri, 29 Mar 2002 16:06:02 -0500 (EST)
From:      "Adam D. Gorski" <agorski@engin.umich.edu>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        <freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: SB problem (was: Cat'ing /dev/audio)

Ok.. I converted an 8Khz wav file to Ogg, and that played fine...

I converted a 44Khz Ogg to wav... I got the popping/screeching

So basically it goes along with the suggestion that it's a sampling
problem... but is this a BSD-only issue? Everything played like a charm for
me under Linux, no matter what my current CPU load was, never a single skip.
I really appreciate the help you guys are giving me, and any other

Oh, almost forgot.. when I play that 128bps/44Khz Ogg in XMMS, the bitrate
fluctuates.. meaning it goes from like 98 to 114 to 104 to 112 and so forth,
which is accompanied by the screeching.

- Adam

::Are the wavs and aus generated from the mp3s, or are they different
::files?  If different, what are their sampling rates?
::
::If your files were from different sources, try this:
::(a) encode a wav which works to ogg (using oggenc, say), and see whether
::    that still works.
::(b) decode a problematic ogg to wav (ogg123 -d wav -f output.wav input.ogg),
::    and see whether that still has problems.
::
::If the answer is "yes" to both I'm pretty sure it's sample rate
::conversion, as I suggested in an earlier mail.  In any case I really
::don't see what sort of hardware problem can distinguish between ogg
::and wav, given that you have more than enough CPU horsepower, etc.