Date:      Sun, 10 Oct 1999 11:39:55 +0200
From:      Marcel Moolenaar <marcel@scc.nl>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: what is make world [was: Re: bsd.port.mk]

[Forwarded to -questions so it may reach someone else]

Justin Wang wrote:

> I was trying to use the "make install" command  to setup samba, but my
> system gave me a message saying "MY SYSTEM IS TO OLD TO USE THIS
> BSD.PORT.MK, YOU NEED A FRESH MAKE WORLD OR UPGRADE KIT"
>
> I am a newbie  and tyring to figure out how to do this. How do I get a
> fresh make world. Is that a port?

"A fresh make world" means a complete recompiled FreeBSD system from the
latest sources. You can recompile FreeBSD if you have the sources
installed (in /usr/src). The fact we call it a "make world", is simply
because if you run "make world" from within /usr/src, then all sources
will be recompiled and installed (except kernel!). For details, see:
o	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/makeworld.html
o	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/stable.html
o	http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/synching.html

Again, a "make world" does not make and install a kernel. See
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/kernelconfig.html for a description of
how to make your own kernel.

HTH,

--