Date:      Thu, 22 Jul 1999 22:58:59 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAM & LDAP in FreeBSD, and userfs too.

In article <19990722111605.C49393@palmerharvey.co.uk>,
Dominic Mitchell  <Dom.Mitchell@palmerharvey.co.uk> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 22, 1999 at 04:59:59PM +0700, Max Khon wrote:
> >
> > PAM is also "using masses of weird shared objects" but nevertheless it's
> > quite usable
>
> By statically linked binaries?

Our PAM implementation works for static binaries too.  See the
sources for the gory details.  Basically it creates a library that
includes all the possible modules, and selects the right one at
runtime.  There's some linker set magic involved.

Concerning "masses of weird shared objects," you'd really better get
used to it.  It was the wave of the future 10 years ago.  It's not
going away.  Dynamic linking provides flexibility and modularity that
you just can't get from static linking.

John
  "No matter how cynical I get, I just can't keep up."        -- Nora Ephron