Date:      Wed, 17 Oct 2001 22:26:56 -0400
From:      Yarema <yds@dppl.com>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>, Andrey A.Chernov <ache@nagual.pp.ru>
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: Apache port change from nobody:nogroup to www:www planned

Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:

> Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org> writes:
>> I'd say put it in src/etc/{master.passwd,group}, with UID and GID 80.
>
> ...though of course you'll still need to add it on systems that don't
> already have it.  And you should take care to check that the UID and
> GID aren't already in use before adding them.
>
> DES

Yes.. all of the above and I definitely vote for the UID:GID to be 80.  Just
like user bind is UID:GID 53.  I think it's a good convention to follow.
According to section 15.15 of the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/x1960.html
UID:GID 80 is free and available.  The above section of the handbook should
probably be updated if UID:GID 80 is indeed selected for user www.

BTW, did anyone notice that user bind with UID:GID of 53 is inconsistent
with the instructions in section 15.15 of the FreeBSD Porter's Handbook?  I
think 53 is a good choice for user bind however the handbook should be
updated to reflect that UID:GID 53 is not available for use by ports.

Just my $.02

--
Yarema