Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 16:26:26 +0100
From:      David Pick <D.M.Pick@qmw.ac.uk>
To:        Fernando Schapachnik <fpscha@via-net-works.net.ar>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IPFilter question

> 	Using keep state with icmp doesn't allow traceroutes. The =

> solution I found was to let icmp types 0 and 11 in. Is this supposed =

> to work this way or I misconfigured something? Shouldn't `keep state' b=
e =

> enough to let traceroute work?

The problem is that traceroute works by sending out IP packets with
gradually increasing TTL values and gathering the ICMP error reports
that are generated as each packet gets so far and the TTL counts down
to zero. So the ICMP responses come back from the intermediate router
that dropped the output packet. So the source address of the ICMP
packet is unpredictable, and the "keep-state" rule only puts in the
*destination* IP address as the source address for the returning packets.=

The same comments apply to *all* ICMP packets: for example blocking
ICMP responses from intermediate routers will also break the MTU path
discovery mechanism.

Interesting point: could "keep-state" generate a rule that would
allow ICMP packets with a destination that matches the source address
of the outbound packet, but without any check on the returning source
address? This would allow us to block ICMPs being used for back-channel
communication unless we're unlucky enough that the sender manages to
match the (source) address of an outgoing packet during the time
window the kept state entry was in place.

-- =

	David Pick