Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 18:02:47 +0200
From:      Bernd Walter <ticso@cicely5.cicely.de>
To:        Jan Lentfer <Jan.Lentfer@web.de>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: No inodes left

On Mon, Jul 01, 2002 at 05:45:02PM +0200, Jan Lentfer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I partioned an 1GB IDE (first IDE port, slave) drive in two 516MB slices
> (ad1e & ad1f). I mounted /usr/ports on ad1f. The installation from CD
> worked flawlessly but when I am trying to build things I get "no inodes
> left". But there are more than 250MB free on the disk? Any suggestions?

Inodes and space are different resources.
You can see with df -i.
Every file, link, devnode, directory, ... consumes an inode.
The number of indoes is constant.
The only way to increase the number of inodes is to newfs the
partition.
Unfortunately the current newfs defaults aren't good for many small
files like in sources or ports.
Even a typical FreeBSD installation has a smaller bytes/file ratio
than newfs creates :(
I already complained when the change went in, but it was unheared.

ticso@cicely.de         Usergroup           info@cosmo-project.de