Date:      Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:38:35 +0930
From:      David Lloyd <lloy0076@rebel.net.au>
To:        Frank Urro <frank@vanquish.com>
Cc:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New to FreeBSD

Franz,

> I am new to the BSD movement. I have followed it from a far for a
> while and now am in the position to make the move (Completely, 100% no
> looking back!)

Welcome.

> I have purchased FreeBSD Unleashed (by SAMS) and have loaded it on my
> ThinkPad 760CD. I now realize that I need to be networked (I'm not
> talking ether net) in order to shorten my learning curve. I realize I
> am taking the double whammy (UNIX and BSD) but I think it will be
> worth it.

Unix and BSD? FreeBSD is Unix but not the trademarked type with the
licenced code. FreeBSD, I believe, was originally ported from the code
base that lacked any proprietary code.

> What are your suggestions? I am about 25mins west of Boston. I would
> even start a group and donate my office for meeting space.

Find out if there are any Linux groups around the place. You'll often
find that open source OS users seem to insist on running all types of
OS'es...you might find some fellow travellers there.

DSL