Date:      Mon, 27 Aug 2018 16:16:47 +0300
From:      "karu.pruun" <karu.pruun@gmail.com>
To:        meowthink@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help diagnose my Ryzen build problem

On Mon, Aug 27, 2018 at 3:21 PM Meowthink <meowthink@gmail.com> wrote:
> That's kib, who has committed things in that script to both 12 [1] and
> stable/11 [2].
>
> Unfortunately, that's for Ryzens family 17h model 00h-0fh, whereas my
> Ryzen 5 2400G's model is 11h.
>
> On the microcode. It shall be updated through UEFI/BIOS updates. I
> think mine is now PinnaclePI-AM4_1.0.0.4 with microcode patchlevel
> 0x810100b.
>
> Seems like ... the only thing I can do is sit down and wait?

The revision

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base/head/sys/x86/x86/cpu_machdep.c?r1=336763&r2=336762&pathrev=336763

works around the mwait issue, i.e. it sets

sysctl machdep.idle_mwait=0
sysctl machdep.idle=hlt

Now it may or may not relate to your problem, but it appears that
Ryzen 2400G also has another issue with HLT, see the DragonFly bug
report

https://bugs.dragonflybsd.org/issues/3131

which AMD is aware of and is possibly working on, but it may not have
appeared in the errata yet. The bug report says that until this is
fixed, the workaround is to also disable HLT in cpu_idle. I am not
sure what is the correct value for the sysctl on FreeBSD, perhaps

sysctl machdep.idle=0

or some other value?

Cheers

Peeter