Date:      Sat, 15 Jan 2005 11:35:28 -0500
From:      Kris Maglione <bsdaemon@comcast.net>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: non-killable process

Simon L. Nielsen wrote:

>On 2005.01.12 10:26:41 +0100, Divacky Roman wrote:
>

>>hi,
>>
>>I have CFLAGS=-Os (dunno if it matters) compiled ports/net/iftop. and whenever
>>I run it on recent 6-current it "hangs":
>>  880  v4  R+     0:00.05 iftop
>>(ps ax output)
>>
>>and it cannot be killed - I can repeat it, so this might reveal some bug. I use
>>sched_ule.
>>
>From
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/basics-daemons.htm

SIGKILL can not be ignored by a process. This is the ``I do not care
what you are doing, stop right now'' signal. If you send SIGKILL to a
process then FreeBSD will stop that process there and then[1].

[1]

Not quite true--there are a few things that can not be interrupted. For
example, if the process is trying to read from a file that is on another
computer on the network, and the other computer has gone away for some
reason (been turned off, or the network has a fault), then the process
is said to be ``uninterruptible''. Eventually the process will time out,
typically after two minutes. As soon as this time out occurs the process
will be killed.