Date:      Mon, 03 Sep 2001 23:29:05 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        asmodai@wxs.nl, current@freebsd.org, arch@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: proctitle progress reporting for dump(8)

Mikhail Teterin wrote:
> On  1 Sep, Jeroen Ruigrok/Asmodai wrote:
> > -On [20010901 19:00], Mikhail Teterin (mi@aldan.algebra.com) wrote:
> >>79240  ??  S      0:06,85 dump: /dev/da0h(0): 92.44% done, finished
> >>in 0:43 (dump)
> >

> > Looks nice.  Would definately be an improvement.
> >
> > I would like it.  How often does it update the proctitle?
>
> Whenever  it outputs  a  line to  the  stderr --  I  personally find  no
> regularity in  that :(. SIGINFO  handling is a different  thing, though.
> I'll look at that too. Thanks,

It would be nice to have in a SIGINFO handler as well, but
since your application is dump run by Amanda as a background
process, a SIGINFO is not very useful, unless it was being
suggested that the setproctitle() be called from a SIGINFO
handler?

I'm pretty sure that this would not be a valid thing to do;
SIGINFO itself is also problematic, since if you redirect
output to a file, etc., you'd really need to call fflush()
in the signal handler, which is not supposed to be done, as
it is not one of the permitted calls.

Also, printf() allocates memory for floating point, so if
that percentage is a floating point calculation, then you
are in double trouble, since you are not allowed to call
malloc() in a signal handler.

-- Terry