Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 1996 21:09:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Eric Chan <Eric.Chan@nswcc.org.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A simple question???

On Wed, 7 Aug 1996, Eric Chan wrote:

>         I would like to plan to upgrade my 3 FreeBSD Unix boxes from 2.0 to
> 2.1.5 release.  Where can I get the info which can guide me to upgrade the
> OS without any problem at all?  I have tried the Handbook but it doesn't
> mention any... (As I am not familiar with FreeBSD, I need to know each step
> even it is simple to all of you)

That is going to be quite a jump.  Back up your /etc directory, boot the
2.1.5 boot floppy, select the 'Upgrade' option, and configure & select
distributions like you would for a normal install.  Once everything
finishes, merge the files that were mentioned during install with your old
files (they may need to be completely rewritten like sysconfig), and
reboot.

Then look at your kernel config, make any chnages (A LOT has changed, so
be observant!), recompile, reinstall, reboot.

That should do it.

>         By the way, just curious, what is the difference between Linux and
> FreeBSD?  Which one is better and popular in the world?

Poke through the mai archives.  This question has been asked many times
and many responses given :)