Date:      Sat, 4 Sep 1999 00:26:09 +0200
From:      Max Nilsson <max@ludd.luth.se>
To:        Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD router

On Fri, Sep 03, 1999 at 02:50:00PM +0200, Nick Hibma wrote:

> From the README in
>
> 	/usr/src/sys/contrib/dev/fla
>

>         The driver has been tested with the following devices:
>
>         DiskOnChip2000 (8, 12, 24, 32, 40, 72, 144 MB)
>         DiskOnChipMillenium (8 MB)
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Nick

I think that he is better of with a flash drive.
A modern flash drive uses a standard IDE interface and do not need any
special device drivers (the computer/BIOS does not know that it is not a normal
IDE disk drive).
You can get a flash drive with 20MB capacity up to 440MB. And the read/write
preformance is much better than the DOC2000 (the DOC2000 uses a 8bit ISA adapter to
work in a PC).
The flash drives are nodays even cheaper than the M-SYS DOC2000 per MB and
much easier to find among the computer resellers.

Sandisk is one big supplier of flash drives (and other Flash EEPROM based
storage products). http://www.sandisk.com/oem/1.8drive.htm

/Max (how have tride both DOC2000 and flash drive in a NetBSD system).

>  > Hello:
>  > 	I'm needing to build a FreeBSD router to be installed on
>  > rooftops. Because of this, I'd like to avoid using mobile parts (ie, HDs,
>  > CD-ROMs, floppys, etc.). This requirement lead me to think about using flash
>  > cards as filesystems. It will also be great if I can turn them read-only
>  > by hardware or specialized soft.
>  >
>  > 	Any one has experience/pointers on this?
>  >
>  > 	Thanks in advance.
>  >
>  >
>  > Fernando P. Schapachnik
>  > Administración de la red
>  > VIA Net Works Argentina SA
>  > Diagonal Roque Sáenz Peña 971, 4º y 5º piso.
>  > 1035 - Capital Federal, Argentina.
>  > (54-11) 4323-3333
>  > http://www.via-net-works.net.ar
>  >
>  >
>  > To Unsubscribe: send mail to majordomo@FreeBSD.org
>  > with "unsubscribe freebsd-hardware" in the body of the message
>  >
>  >

> --
> ISIS/STA, T.P.270, Joint Research Centre, 21020 Ispra, Italy

-- Max Nilsson            E-mail: max@ludd.luth.se  --
-- Sweden                                           --