Date:      Wed, 20 Sep 1995 21:58:43 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@eng.umd.edu>
To:        patl@asimov.volant.org
Cc:        kelly@fsl.noaa.gov, terry@lambert.org, julian@ref.tfs.com, asami@cs.berkeley.edu, ports@freebsd.org, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

On Wed, 20 Sep 1995 patl@asimov.volant.org wrote:

> |>  I don't think that going to such a system means that we have to slavishly
> |>  copy their every nuance.  We could easily set something like:
> |>
> |>  0: single user
> |>  1: multiuser
> |>  2: network
> |>  3: user-custom
>
> The run levels seem have fairly standard meanings - PLEASE stick with
> the level definitions as used by Solaris, HP-UX, etc.  There is no
> excuse for gratuituous incompatability.

This seems a little cockeyed, requesting no changes in a "standard" item,
that would be totally non-standard in BSD from the start anyways.  Are
there BSD based systems, not running init/inittab SVR type things, that
use this setup?  Because, if there aren't, asking for standardization is
simply tying the hands of designers, for no good purpose.

If I'm right, and a BSD standard to this doesn't exist, then an
oppurtunity is presenting itself to use the best of what's out there.
This isn't linux or SYSV, so reasons based on such systems are out of
place.  Am I wrong?

> |>  > All those oddly named scripts, links, codes are hard to grok.  More
> |>  > often than not, when ``such-n-such is hung,'' I have to
> |>  >
> |>  > 	find /etc/rc* -type f | xargs grep such-n-such
> |>  >
> |>  > just to find out the name of the script I'm supposed to use.  And it
> |>  > turns out all it did was run ``such-n-such -d'' which I saw with the
> |>  > output from `ps', so it would've been faster to just kill it and
> |>  > restart it---which I'm leary of since what if I forgot to remove a
> |>  > fifo, lock file, or other such debris before doing so?
>
> I haven't seen how HP-UX does this; but it's pretty clean in Solaris 2.4.
> The files generally have fairly clear names, and they all live in
> /etc/init.d.  The rc* directories only contain symlinks to the file
> in init.d, and the symlinks are clearly named.
>

> Once I figured out the basics, this became one of the things I really
> like about Solaris as compared with SunOS4.x.
>

> -Pat

9120 Edmonston Ct #302      |