Date:      Tue, 25 Jul 2000 16:43:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@nwlink.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        Meagan Jia Pi <meagan@e-lingo.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Backup Solution

On Tue, 25 Jul 2000, Kevin Oberman wrote:

> No, it does not! More and more, files on computers are already
> compressed. The Veritas backup software I use on one system shows the
> compression ratio you are really getting and I typically get about
> 1.2:1, a long way from 2:1. This yields 42 GB on a 35 GB tape.
>
> I think that advertising the capacity of tapes as twice what they
> really are because they are compressed is false advertising!

Your point is valid. My response was merely an example as I stated.

If an admin is backing up than a bunch of MP3 files and JPEGs stored by
users, then they won't get any compression.  If an admin is backing up
webpages, sources, and databases, they will get considerably better
compression.

Don't make me put YMMV in my .sig! :)

Thank you,
Jason C. Wells