Date:      Tue, 2 Oct 2001 18:21:39 +0800
From:      "Dr GOH Eng Yew" <goh@tut-world.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Need Technical Help

Hi
My problem is as follows. I'm trying to use Apache directory authentication
using .htaccess on FreeBSD 3.3. I realised that my complied htpasswd created
password (starting with $1$ meaning using MD5) which is different from
password created from adduser (also using MD5). I can make .htaccess work if
I copy the encrypted password from the /etc/master.passwd file and paste
into the AuthUserFile created by htpasswd.

The system is using one system of reading the password for authentication
for
both .htaccess in Apache and the FreeBSD user login. But creation of
password
is different so how can I make htpasswd create the same encrypted password
as when I use the "adduser" command.

Thank you. Desparately needing an answer.
Eng Yew