Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 18:00:09 -0700
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        opentrax@email.com
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: accessing portal site

opentrax@email.com wrote:

> [I'm trimming the CC line. .. In the interest of sanity. :=) ]
>
> On 13 Nov, Wes Peters wrote:
> > Lanny Baron wrote:
> >>
> >>...[More triming]...
> >
> > No, he's just trying to get you to stop sending email that have the appearance
> > of collusion with the FreeBSD Project.  If you want to send a "heads up" to
> > a FreeBSD mailing list, use BCC so the person or company you're sending the
> > mail to will not misconstrue your message as coming from or being approved by
> > the FreeBSD Project or the Advocacy group.
> >
> I appoligize, Wes, but I must concur with Lanny.
> Not that his behaviour is warrented, but he has valuable(sp?)
> and at this point it looks like we are only helping M$ by
> this arguement amoung us. I can take as much blame as anyone
> for extending this thread.

I did not say he was wrong to chide Intel for their short-sighted web
site, only that he was wrong to do so and involve FreeBSD in it.  If he
wants to advocate FreeBSD, that's fine.  If he wants to tell Intel they
suck giant lizard eggs, that's his right.  To involve the FreeBSD Project
in it without their collective permission is NOT right.

I also patiently explained how he could still provide such information
to this forum if, as he stated, he merely wanted to inform us that the
situation existed.  This will allow him to do so without any extra work,
except perhaps typing that extra 'B' character.

I did act on Lanny's message.  I called a friend at Intel, who works with
Linux, and pointed them at the web page Lanny referred to.  He entered
a bug report against the entire site, since he couldn't view it with
Linux Netscape, which is a corporate standard at Intel these days.  I still
don't agree with the tone of Lanny's message, it was rude and condescending,
but he has the right to be rude and condescending if he wants.  He does NOT
have the right to be rude and condescending on behalf of FreeBSD, you can
object all you want, agree with him all you want, it will still not make
it right.

> However, the point remains - He has valuable information.
> And rather than accept it, we are shooting the messenger
> (along with his envelope). My point is that such information
> needs a medium. Where should the medium be?

Does it really now?  Will his message make the least little bit of difference?
That remains to be seen.  No message needs a "medium" so desperately that the
tone and content don't matter.