Date:      Wed, 7 Apr 1999 11:41:27 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>, Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
Cc:        Christopher Michaels <ChrisMic@clientlogic.com>, gjb@comkey.com.au, questions@FreeBSD.ORG, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Veto? (was: Debug kernel by default (was: System size with -g))

On Tuesday,  6 April 1999 at 11:11:08 -0700, Julian Elischer wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Apr 1999, Archie Cobbs wrote:
>
>> Christopher Michaels writes:
>>> Maybe I'm a little out of the loop, but as a general user I feel I should
>>> voice my opinions (questions).
>>>
>>> I understand the up-sides of a debug kernel (although I wouldn't mind some
>>> clarification), but what are the down sides?
>>>  - The kernel is larger, correct?  Is this just file size or does it take up
>>> significantly more memory as well?
>>
>> You would install two kernels: /kernel and /kernel.debug. The first
>> one is a normal kernel (but no debugging info) and this is the one
>> you run. So no more memory is used (except on your disk). The second
>> you only need as a debug reference for the first when you get a core dump.
>>
>>>  - Does a debug kernel impart any performance hit?
>>
>> No... the same code is being executed as before.
>
> The down side is that you really need 32MB to compile a debug kernel
> in timescales measurable by humans, and you need an extra 20MB or so of
> disk per kernel compile directory.

Have you tried this out?  I have.  I did the following on a 486DX/2-66
with 16 MB, running 2.2.6:

		time		build directory size
 no symbols	34 min		5 MB
 symbols	44 min		25 MB

So you're right about the size.  I don't see a really big difference
with the time; after using modern machines, it's painful either way,
but people who are used to building kernels on a 386/20 with 8 MB will
be delighted :-)

I still definitely think that there should be a way to override the
symbols for people who really insist on not having them, but I don't
think that time or space are such an argument.

Does anybody want to execute a power of veto, or shall I commit some
changes?

Greg