Date:      Thu, 28 Jul 2005 09:16:22 -0500
From:      Christopher Farley <chris@northernbrewer.com>
To:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   JVM crashes

I'm running jdk-1.4.2p6_3.

One of my programs is causing the JVM to crash with the following error:

Exception in thread "CompilerThread1" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
requested 32760 bytes for ChunkPool::allocate. Out of swap space?

A search of google brings up loads of problems related to Tomcat, but
this program has nothing to do with Tomcat. To my knowledge, none of the
libraries I am using use JNI code at all.

First, is there anything programming error that could cause this crash?
I need to know if I should be scrutinizing my code for memory leaks,
etc. I have run the program through a memory profiler, but not the
production system... Everything looks okay.

Second, would it be worth installing the latest jvm patchset to see if
this fixes the problem?

Finally, if one of my libraries is causing this to happen, how would I
go about determining the cause?

One final, probably irrelevant detail -- the jvm will usually crash
within the first couple of hours of being launched. If it survives more
than a few hours, it seems to go on forever with no problems.  I haven't
seen any other pattern in the crashes!

Thanks for any help you can provide!

--
Christopher Farley