Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 1996 10:25:16 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        randyd@nconnect.net (Charlie Root)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Sharing resources with NT networks

> Greetings,
>     I seem to be having a bit of difficulty finding out how to access
> shared resources on NT-servers from FBSD and make BSD's resources
> available to Windows clients and the NT Server.  I have running smbd and
> nmbd as daemons and can "see" the BSD machine from the NT machine and
> Win95 machines ( when browsing ) yet I can't seem to access any shares.
> I've been through all of samba's man pages.  What am I missing ?

Do you have edited /usr/local/samba/lib/smb.conf to define the shares?
Do you have a guest account (pcguest?) on the FreeBSD machine? (required
for browsing).
Do you start smbd/nmbd in /etc/rc.local or via inetd? I'm doing always
in /etc/rc.local like

/usr/local/samba/bin/nmbd -I a.b.c.d -B a.b.c.255  -D -G WORKGROUP
/usr/local/samba/bin/smbd -D