Date:      Fri, 14 Nov 1997 11:40:09 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Jan L. Peterson" <jlp@imall.com>
Cc:        "Studded" <Studded@dal.net>, "FreeBSD Stable List" <FreeBSD-Stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Serious problem with ipfw in 11/10 Snap

>The only thing we can't do remotely at the moment is powercycle the
>machines.  We're looking into X10 for that. :-)

   For wcarchive, I constructed a "remote console" machine that hooks to
wcarchive's console serial port. The remote console is on the net as well,
and I always have an xterm (with logging enabled) open on wcarchive's console.
Additionally, I modified a cheap internal modem so that the hook relay
was connected to the reset switch on wcarchive. Thus, I can reset wcarchive
with a simple "atdt" on the remote console machine. I also wrote a watchdog
script that pings wcarchive regularly and does an automatic reset if the
machine becomes unreachable for an extended period. I've never had a need
to power cycle the hardware - reset has always been sufficient and it is
much less tramatic on the hardware (wcarchive fills most of a 6 foot rack).

-DG

David Greenman