Date:      Thu, 13 Jan 2000 23:38:29 -0800 (PST)
From:      Lamont Lucas <lamont@cluepon.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Problems attempting to upgrade from 3.4-stable to -current

Hi, I've been trying unsuccessfully for two days to upgrade to -current on
one of my machines at home, and was hoping there might be some suggestions
from the group I could try.

This is the consistant error off of today's -current tree:

cc -O -pipe -elf -Wall -fkeep-inline-functions
-I/usr/obj/usr/src/i386/usr/include -c /usr/src/lib/csu/i386-elf/crt1.c -o
crt1.o
cc: Internal compiler error: program cc1 got fatal signal 12
*** Error code 1

I realize that the handbooks suggests this could be a hardware error, but
I'm dubious since the problem occurs in this spot consistantly, both
between re make buildworlds and after a make clean;make buildworld.

Yesterday's problems were mostly due to what the mailing lists seems to
describe as the bootstrapping problem with libc, although a make include
and a (cd /usr/src/lib/libc; make install) failed to resolve the problem.

Is there any other information that I could give that may help?  The
machine has been running -stable for a week or so with no problems, using
ram I've had no problem with in other machines.

Any suggestions or work arounds?

Thanks.