Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 15:06:56 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@cc942873-a.ewndsr1.nj.home.com>
To:        andyo@prime.net.ua (Andy V. Oleynik)
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SSH X Forwarding

Andy V. Oleynik wrote,
[Charset koi8-r unsupported, filtering to ASCII...]
> Forgive me my intruding. But there is one question:
> Does ur X/sshd server allow connections to X ?
> If no then xhost could be ur tool.

IIRC, xhost is taken care of/not needed by an ssh X connection. When I
'xhost' while ssh'ed into the troublesome sshd-machine, I get the
exact same error; it cannot get a socket to X.

Now, I mentioned trying this before and finally got to it. I logged
onto the troubled machine at its console, started X, and then ssh'ed
back in. In the ssh session, I tried an xterm and guess what... got
the same error message. 'localhost' was definately on the xhost list
(I checked in a non-ssh xterm). I should add that X otherwise behaves
fine when sitting at this machine. The ugly startup window for xlock
reminded me that this is one difference from other machines, but I do
not see how xlock would effect things.

Still puzzling over this.