Date:      Thu, 15 Jun 2000 20:30:01 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Ron Smith <ronnetron@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: deinstalling ssh

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Ron Smith wrote:

> I think I got the right list. Please, correct me if I'm wrong.

Nope, this is the right one!

> I recently installed 'ssh' from a standalone tarball (floppy disk). I would
> like to know the procedure for deinstalling it, since it wasn't installed
> from the '/usr/ports/...' directory. I don't think I can use the deinstall
> command. Or, can I? If I can't, could someone at least tell me the separate
> files I would have to manually delete. I would like to replace 'ssh' with
> 'OpenSSH', but I would like to avoid *any* conflicts.

I assume you installed it from a package using the 'pkg_add' command? If
so, you can just deinstall it with 'pkg_delete ssh-1.2.27' or whatever the
name of the package is - see the list of installed packages in /var/db/pkg

If you didn't install it via a package, but just extracted a tarball
containing the SSH binaries, then there's no way to remove it
automatically, in general. If you know that the files were installed in
exactly the same location as where the port/package would put them, you
can just install and deinstall the port/package which will overwrite and
then remove those files.

For the record, 'make deinstall' in ports actually calls pkg_delete with
the constructed package name of whatever the current version in ports is -
in the case of ssh it hasn't changed in a while so it may still work, but
for example if the port was upgraded to a hypothetical version 1.2.28 it
would try and run 'pkg_delete ssh-1.2.28'

Kris