Date:      Tue, 17 Sep 2002 13:35:05 +0200
From:      Christophe Prevotaux <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   SMP strange behaviour [HELP]

Hi

I have machines (2 to be exact) that are exactly the same
down to the last component, one is 4-STABLE and the other one
is 4.6-RELEASE. Both are running SMP kernel.

ASUS CU4VX
2 1Ghz CPUs
1 GO of RAM
1 Gigabit Ethernet (lge)
1 155Mpbs ATM (Forerunner) (hfa)
1 Built-in 100Mbps ethernet (fxp)

Each card has its own IRQ (so I don't think this is an IRQ problem)

And both exhibit the same strange behaviour which did not exist
when we were running 4.5.

The behaviour is as follows.

As soon as I try to run a command that outputs a "lot" of data
in a short time ( example : netstat (this is the most significative))
from an ssh or a telnet session , the telnet or ssh session just freeze
it seems to get dropped by the remote machine (my SMP servers) because
after a while the ssh session times out and return to the shell prompt.

When I go to the console and I look at the ethernet interface (an lge0)
everything seems to be fine.

if I do another ssh sessions the machine answers , when I run again
netstat -rn as previously the same scenario occurs again.

Could anyone tell me what is going on and how to fix this ?

I have to add that this behaviour is not present on non SMP
machines.

Christophe Prevotaux      Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine   Direct: +33 (0)3 26 61 77 72
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center