Date:      Fri, 4 Jan 2002 14:18:47 -0500
From:      Randall Hopper <aa8vb@nc.rr.com>
To:        Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <nospam.nospam@mekanix.dk>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: OpenGL

Bjarne Wichmann Petersen:
 |On Friday 04 January 2002 18:39, Randall Hopper wrote:
 |
 |>     3197 frames in 5.0 seconds = 639.400 FPS
 |>     3197 frames in 5.0 seconds = 639.400 FPS
 |>     3196 frames in 5.0 seconds = 639.200 FPS
 |
 |Ok.. I'm pulling someting like ~667 FPS

Very nice!

 |> 2.5% - not a lot of difference, but this number may still be low for this
 |> box (XFree86 was compiled with the default -g, XFree86 probes my card as a
 |> G400 SDRAM--it's a G450 DDRAM, etc.).
 |
 |Hmm.... where does one turn of -g? Or have I already done that by setting
 |CFLAGS=-O -pipe in /etc/make.conf?

From the XFree86 port patches, it appears:  config/cf/FreeBSD.cf
is the place.  The current port turns off optimization by removing the -O2
and -O on DefaultGcc2i386Opt and OptimizedCDebugFlags, respectively.

 |> My hardware:
 |>     - Matrox Millenium G450 32MB DDR 1x AGP
 |>     - Asus A7M266 DDR MB
 |>     - Athlon Thunderbird 1.2GHz
 |
 |Then you don't want to hear my setup:

Oh, I definitely do!

 |  - G400 16 MB RAM AGP
 |  - Epox 8KTA3/+ PC133 SDRAM
 |  - Duron 800 MHz
 |  - 4.4-STABLE, X build out from ports.
 |
 |Why is my poorer setup performing better than yours?

Good question!  I'll compile with -O2 next.  I turned optimization off
because that's what the XFree86 port was doing (figured it'd be a safer
first step), but that's not the default for the CVS tree apparently.

 |Have you tried tuxracer or gltron? In tuxracer I can't push more than
 |9-11 FPS on average. And the pusling part, it the same whether I run it
 |at 640x480 or 1600x1200.

Not yet, but I will.  Let me rebuild and dig around some more to see what I
can tweak.

Say, also I'm running with the XFree86 DRI mga.ko module, not the
SourceForge DRI modules, and I didn't compile in the Matrox HAL library.

I'd be interested in which DRI modules you are using, and whether you've
got the HAL built into your server.

Thanks for the reply!

Randall

--