Date:      Wed, 07 Jul 2004 11:33:42 +1000
From:      Rowdy <david@fielden.com.au>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   multiple versions of ports installed

Greetings,

I have multiple versions of a couple of ports installed under FreeBSD
5.1-RELEASE, and I'm not sure why, nor whether I can remove any of the
older versions.

sharwyn:~ # portversion -v | grep "?"
autoconf-2.57_1             ?  error - origin not found
libtool-1.4.3_3             ?  error - origin not found

These came to light after a recent pkgdb -F.

sharwyn:~ # pkg_info | grep autoconf
autoconf-2.13.000227_5 Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
platforms
autoconf-2.53_1     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
platforms
autoconf-2.57_1     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
platforms
autoconf-2.59_1     Automatically configure source code on many Un*x
platforms

sharwyn:~ # pkg_info | grep libtool
libtool-1.3.5_2     Generic shared library support script (version 1.3)
libtool-1.4.3_3     Generic shared library support script (version 1.4)
libtool-1.5.6_1     Generic shared library support script (version 1.5)

These would have been installed automatically as part of other post
installs or upgrades.

Are multiple versions of these needed?

Can the older versions (or at least the "origin not found" versions) be
safely deleted?

Thanx

Dave