Date:      Thu, 6 Jan 100 20:27:21 +1100 (EST)
From:      Darren Reed <darrenr@reed.wattle.id.au>
To:        shin@nd.net.fujitsu.co.jp (Yoshinobu Inoue)
Cc:        louie@TransSys.COM, committers@FreeBSD.org, current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: 4.0 code freeze scheduled for Jan 15th

In some email I received from Yoshinobu Inoue, sie wrote:

> > Will we try to include the remaining KAME IPv6 integration into 4.0 before
> > the freeze?  It would be nice to have 4.0 with a functioning IPv6 stack and
> > some applications.
> >
> > louie
>
> As an information from a person doing merging work,
>   -Kernel part is almost done(tcp patch is under review and testing).
>   -IPsec userland tools patch is also under review.
>   -some more tcp and udp userland tools need to be added but I think
>    it can be done including review time before 15th.
> Then I think 4.0 will have some enough degree of IPv6 and
> IPsec functionalities.
>
> Some items won't make it until 15th,
>   -IPv6 multicast routing
>   -many IPv6 ports
> But after 4.0 is released, KAME package for 4.0 release will
> be also made, and I think it can provide those part and other
> update for users who needs more intensive support for IPv6 and
> IPsec.

For what it's worth, I think releasing 4.0 *without* IPv6 support
is a mistake.  Why ?  Because in < 12 months FreeBSD 5.0 will be
released *with* IPv6 support (I'd count IPv6 as being a big enough
change to signify a major release number change).  If that doesn't
happen, then FreeBSD is chasing the wrong goals, IMHO.

Personally, I think the timeline laid down - 25(?) days from now
until 4.0 release is too aggressive.  Given that the announcement
(to me) seemed to be rather autocratic and possibly driven by
marketting factors ("we need 4.0 out now regardless" ?) than by
the general stability and maturity of -current.  Well, that's the
impression I get from an announcement encouraging people to do
heavy testing in the next 10 days.  I would encourage Jordan and
others to have a rethink about the timeframe for 4.0 and what plans
they have for it feature wise.

To give you some idea, Solaris8 will have been in *beta* for ~9 months
when it is released and will support IPv6 (telnet, inetd services, NFS)
and IPSec when it is released around March.  FreeBSD is no less an OS
than Solaris is, when it comes to completeness.

Darren