Date:      Sun, 29 Dec 1996 10:35:04 -0500
From:      dh2@netwalk.com (Randall Hopper)
To:        dkelly@HiWAAY.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pppd and pap

dkelly@HiWAAY.net:
 |I'm getting tired of manually dialing out with kermit, logging in,
 |suspending kermit, and launching pppd.
 |
 |As a first stage in automating the process I thought I'd try automating the
 |login process with pap. Does anyone have an example they could share? I
 |think my problem is creating /etc/ppp/pap-secrets, I know the "secret", but
 |have questions about how to indicate my login user name.

These are two different authentication mechanisms (text and PAP), so I'm
assuming from what you said that you have a choice of authenticating either
way before flipping into PPP mode. (?)

If so, if you want to stay with the text authentication mechanism, you
might just flip something like this in a script:

     DEVICE=cuaa0

     exec 0< /dev/$DEVICE
     exec 1> /dev/$DEVICE

     chat ...
     chat ...
     slattach ...
     # wait for slattach to take control.

     exec 0<&- 1>&-

which just keeps the serial device open across chats until slattach/ppp can
take over ownership.

Randall Hopper
rhh@ct.picker.com