Date:      Thu, 19 Oct 1995 04:58:30 +0300 (MSK)
From:      =?KOI8-R?Q?=E1=CE=C4=D2=C5=CA_=FE=C5=D2=CE=CF=D7?= (aka Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage) <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        "Kaleb S. KEITHLEY" <kaleb@x.org>
Cc:        hackers@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: xterm dumps core

In message <199510182200.SAA00048@exalt.x.org> Kaleb S. KEITHLEY
    writes:

>>>Because OS vendors can't all agree on a single unified naming scheme
>>>it is necessary to have a mechanism to map from the various vendor locale
>>>names to the corresponding X name. That's all the locale.alias file is
>>>for.

>>So, it is definitely bug in locale.alias, it can't parse valid character
>>sets names which conforms RFC 1700.

>Bullshit. It is not a bug in X's locale.alias.

It seems that you understand what I want to say, but I'll try to
play with terminology to make you more convenient if it ever possible.
Change "bug" to "locale.alias is obsoleted" and add
"real place to fix it is locale.alias".

>I refuse to try to play "catch up" with unreleased version of an OS.
>How do I know you won't just change them again. When 2.1 is real I
>will consider changing them.

I don't change them again until ISO decides to renames their
charsets.

>>I simple follow existen standard for character set names, namely
>>RFC 1700. If X violates RFC 1700

>Bullshit. X does not violate RFC 1700. The locale.alias table is
>there merely to provide *compatibility* with as many systems as
>possible.

Continue play with terminology...
Maybe words "RFC 1700 names not supported by X" instead of
"violated" sounds better?

>>(claiming itself as Standards Body :-)
>>sorry, can't resist)

>You should have. Saying stupid things doesn't help your case.

I don't need any help here.
I assume that Standard Body must care to _support_ standards
at least, isn't?

>>I don't think that it will be good to follow its
>>way only because it is X.

>Nobody has asked you to do any such thing.

_You_ ask me to keep backward links to invalid names.

>>I mean that I have KOI8-R locale installed, i.e. this name
>>present in locale.dir, koi8-r/XLC_LOCALE, tbl_data/tabkoi8-r
>>and koi8-r fonts are installed.

>>xterm still dumps core for me. Why?

>I give up. Why? All the evidence thus far points to problems caused
>by changes you've made in FreeBSD. Get the source from XFree86. Compile
>it with debug, and solve your problem.

Well, I just send a copy to you and not asking for help in this case,
I ask Dawes for help.

>>I don't plan provide backward compatible links, becase
>>it allows users to use completely non-standard locale names.

>This is one of the stupidest things I've heard lately.

Ok, also I have opinion of your conversation style,
I'll resist to public it in this case...

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -