Date:      Fri, 9 Aug 2002 18:57:38 +0200
From:      Thierry Herbelot <thierry@herbelot.com>
To:        kpieckiel@smartrafficenter.org, "Kevin A. Pieckiel" <kpieckiel-freebsd-stable@smartrafficenter.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SMP kernel: FreeBSD vs. Linux 2.4.x

Le Friday 09 August 2002 18:44, Kevin A. Pieckiel a écrit :

> A few questions on this issue.  First, what was the reasoning behind making
> the whole kernel a critical code segment?  I can't think of any reason

this was not a "design choice" : it was simply the easiest and fastest way to
morph the historic BSD kernel into an SMP beast (the traditional Unix kernel
has many places where it assumes it runs on only one processor : using a BGL
allows recycling the old kernel code)

[SNIP flame bait]

> Second, what are KSEs?

do you know what the purpose of Google is ?
<http://www.google.fr/search?q=kse+freebsd+threads&ie=ISO-8859-1&hl=fr&meta=>;

[SNIP another whine]

	TfH