Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 12:32:59 -0500
From:      Eric_Stanfield@kenokozie.com
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   set your brains on 'think'

I'd appreciate some insight as to why the following is occurring:

I've been assigned a /20 by ARIN.  Among other things, I must renumber my
dns machines using these new ip's.  So, to make for a smooth transition I
install a 2nd nic in each dns machine and give it an ip out of the new
address space.  All is well.  Both machines respond to dns queries directed
at both their 'old' ip address as well as their 'new' ip address and I can
ping both cards in either machine from anywhere.

NS1 ---  ip: 10.0.0.1 (default gateway 10.0.0.10)
         ---- ip:  192.168.1.1 (default gateway 192.168.1.10)

NS2 --- ip: 10.0.0.254 (default gateway 10.0.0.10)
         --- ip: 192.168.1.254 (default gateway 192.168.1.10)

..fake ip's obviously but that's a (primitive) diagram of how each madchine
is set up.  Note that each nic has it's own default gateway corresponding
to the subnet it belongs to.  No routing between nic's, just multi-homed.
Again, all 4 of these interfaces can be pinged from anywhere, dns services
are functional across both old and new ip's, etc.

Now the rub...

ns1 can not ping the new ip of ns2.  ns2 can not ping the new ip of ns1.
Both machiens can still ping each other via the old ip's (thank god, or
zone xfers would be bombing).  I'm sure this is just some oddity of ip
routing like the ping is leaving one interface and trying to enter via the
other or who knows what.  But I'm just curious and looking for an informed
answer.  So far, this quirk doesn't seem to be affecting operations so I
can live with it.

Eric Stanfield, K2Access
Keno Kozie Associates
222 N LaSalle #1500
Chicago, IL 60606
(312) 332-3000

                    Robert Hough
                    <rch@acidpit.org>          To:     freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    owner-freebsd-isp@F        Subject:     New Provider Suggestions
                    reeBSD.ORG

                    06/07/01 12:56 PM

Sorry for the off-topic post, just seeking advice/experiences from other
ISP's out there. We are looking to expand our capacity a bit, and would
like to go with a new provider. Currently, we have: c&w, digex, sprint, and
uunet. Any suggestions? Time Warner and Qwest are really the only two
providers that are not going to be considered. Please reply privately, as
I'm sure people are quite tired of seeing this here. Thanks

--
Robert Hough (rch@acidpit.org)