Date:      10 Nov 1998 17:47:26 +0100
From:      dag-erli@ifi.uio.no (Dag-Erling C. =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= )
To:        "Ugen Antsilevitch" <ugen@undp.org>
Cc:        hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AHA-2940 U/UW

"Ugen Antsilevitch" <ugen@undp.org> writes:
> The machine is a Dell OptiPlex or something, 400Mhz, with AHA 2940
> U/UW dual SCSI.

The AHA2940 is a single-channel card. You probably have a dual-channel
AHA3940U/UW with an AIC7895 chip.

>                 This card and the onboard Ethernet card (3COM 590)
> are both on PCI bus 1. For whatever reason when i boot from
> installation CDROM, the dmesg says that some devices (theese two)
> were found at such and such location on PCI bus 1. But "driver not
> attached" (or "assigned"?) to those devices and thats about it. On
> the same machine it finds correctly VGA pci device on PCI bus 1 and
> Intel EtherExpress PCI card on PCI bus 2.

a) Stay away from Dell. Even if you get the above problems fixed,
   you'll find out the box has a broken keyboard controller.

b) It sounds to me like you tried to install -stable, which supports
   neither the Etherlink XL nor the AIC7895. Get -current, or get
   another computer, with an Intel EtherExpress Pro/100 and a plain
   Adaptec 2940. I really doubt you need a dual-channel SCSI
   controller if all you're doing is DNS "and some other things".

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - dag-erli@ifi.uio.no