Date:      18 Oct 1999 01:40:50 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printers (was Re: keyboards)

atrn@zeta.org.au writes:

> David Kelly wrote:
> > As a result, I don't buy these products. Even for a WinNT application.
>
> Some of us on the inside try to promote the idea that Unix should be
> supported but without customers actually asking for this support the powers
> that be don't listen.

Well, thank you David... it's exactly this kind of people that we Unix users
need to be working in these 'inside' parts of key companies, because it really
makes me feel better to know that saying "I'm not buying, because I have the
honor and curse to be running *BSd at home" somebody is actually going to hear
this and somehow care about it.

> One of the big stumbling blocks is the lack of an abstract printing
> model for applications.

This is mainly a problem caused by the totally incompatible ways in which
printers of today are talking to their soft-partners, the drivers that each
company uses and distributes for that 'other' OS, if I am not mistaken.  Of
course, having some standards like, say, PCL or PostScript is fine, but it
does not give us the possibility to use those 'extra' features each printer
might have.  Anyway, this is often caused by the fact that the 'proprietary'
driver distributed with the printer for some of the 'famous' OSes, does not
have to let anyone know how it does this, or what it's telling to the printer
over that serial or parallel cable -- and this suits the company that made the
printer incredibly, since they can often hide some of their newest and
oh-so-cool hacks that make the printer print in such astonishing colors, or
with such amazing quality.

The result of all this is that, unless you're using Windows for printing,
you're a bit out of luck, even with all the efforts of teams like the
GNU or Alladin Ghostscript developers to provide us with a good, quality set
of tools for printing under Unix.  However, what I usually do in environments
that more than one PC is available, is to hook the printer on some Windows
machine, install all those neat drivers over there, and let the others print
over the network with Samba.  It's worked for me so far, and I certainly hope
it will keep working for some time.  This is not a true 'unix-solution' but
it's the best thing I could think of, so far.

It seems that it's an evil printing world out there...

--
Giorgos Keramidas, <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
"That field hath eyen, and the wood hath ears." [Geoffrey Chaucer, 1328-1400]