Date:      Sun, 28 Dec 2014 20:09:54 +0000
From:      "Pokala, Ravi" <rpokala@panasas.com>
To:        Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@phk.freebsd.dk>, Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        John-Mark Gurney <jmg@funkthat.com>, "freebsd-geom@freebsd.org" <freebsd-geom@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Converting LBAs to byte offsets through the GEOM stack

Hi Poul-Henning,

>If this were important, the geom(8) tool could probably do it, based on
>the exported XML state of the geom-mesh and support modules mirroring
>actual logic for all relevant geoms, that way it would at least live in
>userland.

I did some digging in our source tree, and it turns out that someone
implemented something like that (userland tool, using geom_gettree() to
get the mesh, forward- and reverse-map for various GEOMs) for some of the
GEOMs we use. Unfortunately, some of the important classes were left out,
and it requires changes for each additional class we want to support. And,
as several people have mentioned, it only works for classes which perform
fixed mappings rather than dynamic mappings. The good news is, I'm only
interested in static mappings, so I should be able to come up with
something to fulfill my needs.

With those caveats (code required for each additional class, only works
for static mappings), would this be something others are interested in
having?

Thanks,

Ravi