Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 20:58:09 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "Scott Gwin" <jsgwin@home.com>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: adaptec RAID driver needed

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
[mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG]On Behalf Of Scott Gwin
Sent: Monday, January 07, 2002 7:49 PM
To: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject: adaptec RAID driver needed

Help this newbie I beg of you.  (And please excuse me using Lookout!). I’m
in the process of installing FreeBSD4.4 and have run into a huge problem.  I
’m in desperate need of a driver for an AHA-3985W RAID controller.  My
questions are this – Is one available anywhere?  If I configure Linux
emulation, can I use a Linux driver for this card?  (I realize this may be a
ridiculous question, but I’m trying to cover any/all possibilities).  Last
question;   If the answers are NO! for the previous questions, Is there
anyone that would be benevolent enough to write one so I can get away from
Microshaft?  /Scott

--- End of original message, converted from HTML ---

discovery# dmesg
ahc0: <Adaptec 398X SCSI RAID adapter> port 0xf000-0xf0ff mem
0xff9fc000-0xff9fc
fff irq 10 at device 4.0 on pci1
aic7870: Single Channel A, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc1: <Adaptec aic7810 RAID memory controller> port 0xf400-0xf4ff mem
0xff600000
-0xff7fffff,0xff9fd000-0xff9fdfff irq 11 at device 5.0 on pci1
RAID functionality unsupported
device_probe_and_attach: ahc1 attach returned 6
ahc1: <Adaptec 398X SCSI RAID adapter> port 0xf800-0xf8ff mem
0xff9fe000-0xff9fe
fff irq 10 at device 8.0 on pci1
aic7870: Single Channel B, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs
ahc2: <Adaptec 398X SCSI RAID adapter> port 0xfc00-0xfcff mem
0xff9ff000-0xff9ff
fff irq 10 at device 12.0 on pci1
aic7870: Single Channel C, SCSI Id=7, 16/255 SCBs

	The AHA-3985/3980 definately works (and Adaptec and Microsoft both claim
that this card will not work under a Microsoft OS, but it works fine in both
FreeBSD since 4.2 and RedHat 6.2).  As you can see, RAID functionality isn't
supported, but the card works fine as a standard SCSI controller.

	If you need RAID with this controller, why not just attach your drives and
use vinum under FreeBSD?

--- Andy