Date:      Tue, 17 Nov 1998 13:47:02 -0600
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        "'Alex Knowles'" <alex@targeting.co.uk>, "Questions (E-mail)" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I can't believe I am soo stupid

Christopher Michaels - SSG writes:
> Boot up the machine single user   (  -s at the boot up prompt )
> It will ask for the shell to use [/bin/sh] once in there, edit the passwd
> file and fix the path for the root shell.

I forget, you might be able to simply "su" to root even if root doesn't
have a valid shell? Could save a reboot.

Otherwise once in single user, "mount /usr", then use chsh(1) to set the
shell and do it right, and foolproof. Something like this:
"chsh -s tcsh root". Chsh limits the shell choices to those listed in
/etc/shells. And "tcsh" is good enough to find /usr/local/bin/tcsh.

chsh allows a user to change their default shell without bothering the
sysadmin.

Once you have a root shell you might consider putting a password on the
toor account. Its always nice to have an alternate way to login with a
spare shell.