Date:      Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:19:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Paul Herman <pherman@frenchfries.net>
To:        Nick Rogness <nick@rapidnet.com>
Cc:        Albert Chin-A-Young <china@thewrittenword.com>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Routing help

On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Nick Rogness wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jul 2000, Albert Chin-A-Young wrote:
>
> > > 	Here's a question for ya, Are all networks (routeable) reachable
> > > 	through both ethernet cards?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > 	What are you trying to accomplish?
> >
> > We have two different ISPs providing our internet connection, with the
> > web and ftp server multihomed (second NIC not alive yet). I want to
> > survive the case where one ISP goes dead.
> >

> 	Talk to your ISPs about running BGP or some other routing
> 	technique to advertise both netblocks to both providers.

Is this a viable solution nowadays?  I mean, anything smaller than /19
won't get propagated to the rest of the world anyway. Also, I've never
had any luck convincing two providers to somehow work together to
solve a "small problem" like BGPing a small /24 block of addresses
with their so called "competition" (at least here in Europe, anyway.)

Perhaps, it's different in the US?

Of course, if Albert is indeed talking about a /19 block, then this
isn't an issue, his ISPs probably wouldn't want to lose him, and you
can forget what I just said :)

-Paul.