Date:      Sun, 1 Jun 2003 10:39:45 +0300
From:      Valentin Nechayev <netch@iv.nn.kiev.ua>
To:        "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet.com>
Subject:   Re: Transition plans: libkse->libpthread

 Fri, May 30, 2003 at 21:49:32, fullermd (Matthew D. Fuller) wrote about "Re: Transition plans: libkse->libpthread":

>> Sometime shortly after 5.1 release, we'll (hopefully) be
>> installing libpthread as "libpthread" instead of "libkse"
>> by default.
MDF> From my comfortable position here in the peanut gallery, I've been
MDF> thinking about this.  Now that we have libthr around (presumably for a
MDF> long time), mightn't it be a good idea to keep libkse and libkse, libthr
MDF> and libthr, and maybe even libc_r as libc_r, and have libpthread be a
MDF> {sym,hard}link to one of the above?  Since we're ending up with multiple
MDF> libraries implementing the pthreads API, with the presumption that
MDF> they're at least nominally interchangeable, might we not want to make
MDF> that switchability explicit?

I joined to this initially. But:
1. System-wide changing of, e.g., libkse to libthr in all applications,
can be set up in libmap.conf. If system-wide libmap.conf is applicable
by default to all binaries, including sugid ones, this will work.
2. Linker writes library specifications to binaries not with library name
only, but with major number also. With libpthread as customized symlink,
version bumps in all three libraries must be simultaneous and major numbers
must be identical. With one default library, if libmap allows, any libpthread
version can be mapped to any libthr or libc_r version. This is preferrable.

So, I support installing libkse as libpthread using copy or (preferred)
hard link.

-netch-