Date:      Fri, 1 Jan 1999 17:26:38 -0600
From:      "Gerry Marcelo" <germar@pair.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Printer Problems "staircase effect"

Greetings and happy new year.

I'm new to Unix and FreeBSD, and I'm taking my first
stab at installing a printer for printing simple text only.

OS is FreeBSD 2.2.8 installed from CD  ROM set
I am still running the "generic" kernel.
lpd is running.

Machine is 486 DX2-50 with 20 meg of memory

Printer is Panasonic KX-P4410 Laser Printer, with HP IIp emulation.
It's set up as device lpd0 on my machine's parallel port.

I can send print jobs to the printer, but I get the "staircase effect"
were each line is offset to the right until the text is off the right
margin...my printer isn't interpeting Ctl-j as both newline and return.

I think I've done everything correctly, according to everything I could look
up on line.
Could someone review the following for correct syntax or some "Newbie"
error:

Here is my printcap,  comments snipped for bandwith:

# @(#)printcap 5.3 (Berkeley) 6/30/90
#(COMMENTS SNIPPED)
#

lp|local line printer:\
 :sh:\
 :lp=/dev/lpt0:sd=/var/spool/output/lpd:lf=/var/log/lpd-errs:
 :if=/usr/local/libexec/if-simple:

#
#(REMAINING COMMENTED LINES SNIPPED)

Here is my input filter, "if-simple"

#!/bin/sh
printf"\033&k2G" && cat && printf"\f" && exit 0
exit 2

I checked my printer's manual and the ESC &k2G should do the trick,
but my printer continues to "staircase" no matter what I do.

I tried "lpfilter" from "The Complete FreeBSD...following the installation
instructions
carefully.  My printer then would only eject a blank sheet of paper with no
text at all.

The Free BSD manual mentions that pre-written input filters are "around."
Does anyone know where a directory of these filters might be found on the
net, or is there someone on the list who has already written the proper
filter for a Panasonic KX-P4410 Laser Partner Printer?

Thanks to all again for any help!

Gerry
Austin, TX, USA