Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 21:10:10 -0800
From:      Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>
To:        Chris Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>
Cc:        scottl@FreeBSD.ORG, smp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: P5 vs. SMP, part 2

Chris Faulhaber wrote:

> --J/dobhs11T7y2rNN

> > >=20
> > > I have one (2xP5 @200MHz); I use it only in desktop mode, and it
> > > launches X and Mozilla-CURRENT very slowly. I'm running CURRENT.
> >=20
> > The good news is that I found part of the problem.  Fix:
> >=20
>
> Yep, that seem to fix it.  Good catch!

We cant commit it like that though as it Would Be Bad(TM) for the non-intel
cpus that have special cache handling.  See i386/initcpu.c.  I think a
better fix would be to turn off the bits in the AP startup code since we
know that the cpus that support SMP all treat these bits the same way. A
more complete solution (perhaps having the AP's run the initcpu stuff to
replicate the magic changes that were done to the BSP already) is the
better solution for after the release.

Cheers,
-Peter