Date:      Wed, 7 Jul 1999 15:55:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   network configuration with NETGEAR

My FreeBSD machine running 3.1 is connected to port 8 of a NETGEAR Fast
Ethernet Hub FE516, whose port 16 is connected to port 2 (10/100Mbps) of a
NETGEAR switch SW502.  The UTP port (port 1) of SW502 is connected to the
outside world.

When FreeBSD boots up, the light on port 8 of the Hub is on. Later,
FreeBSD says "de0: enabling 10BaseT port" and the light on port 8 goes
off.  After bootup, I can not do telnet or ftp.

I wonder if some settings in the FreeBSD driver or hardware is wrong.  Can
anyone suggest what can happen in this situation.

I have checked the cables and the uplink setting of the switch and hub.

Thanks a lot for any help.