Date:      Sun, 12 Jan 1997 11:20:12 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   DEVFS permissions &c.

As Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > I think DEVFS should create all devices 0600 root:wheel.  It's bogus
> > for the kernel to hard-code user or group names.  Everything else
> > should be handled at rc(8) time, which is also where the beloved
> > persistency will come into the game.
>
> Hmmm.  Actually, ignore what I said earlier about group games - I
> agree with Joerg. :-)

Although i should add that this is currently _not_ the case!  I.e.,
nobody wrote that ``permissions & persistancy'' module for rc(8) yet.

I've exchanged a couple of thoughts with Bruce about it.  Maybe we
could teach mtree(8) to help in this step.

Btw., a system shutdown script would come handy for this.  What are
the current ideas of a SysV init? :-) Well, at least we could teach
our init to run something like /etc/rc.shutdown or such, which can do
all the dirty work.  Init should probably impose a timeout for this
script (in case it hangs), how to configure this?  A sysctl variable?
For normal machines (i.e., not news servers or other machines that
require mucho work at shutdown time), a grace period of 10 seconds
should suffice.

Why i'm bringing this into the game here?  It would be the ideal spot
to dump out the state of DEVFS into a file.

--
cheers, J"org