Date:      Wed, 17 Mar 1999 08:46:51 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>, Philip Kizer <pckizer@nostrum.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Vinum questions?

[Format recovered at freebie.lemis.com]

On Tuesday, 16 February 1999 at 13:54:18 +0100, Brad Knowles wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 16, 1999, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>> You've gone and removed -DVINUMDEBUG somewhere, haven't you?  There
>> was a warning in vinum(4), but it's possibly confusing.  I've changed
>> it to:
>
>     Yup, I removed it.  I was under the impression that it needed to be
> set everywhere, and that the stuff that came with the machine had been
> pre-compiled without -DVINUMDEBUG being set, so I likewise removed it
> from the stuff I was building to coincide with that.  If I can figure out
> where I removed that option, I can go back in and re-enable it, then
> recompile, reboot, and reload.

In /usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile:

  CFLAGS+=	-I${.CURDIR}/../../sys -g -Wall -DVINUMDEBUG

In /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/Makefile:

  CFLAGS+=	-DVINUMDEBUG -g -O

>>   DEBUG OPTIONS
>>     The current version of vinum, both the kernel module and the user program
>>     vinum(8),  include significant debugging support.  It is not recommended
>>     to remove this support at the moment, but if you do you must remove it
>>     from both the kernel and the user components.
>
>     This is the part that confused me.  I wasn't sure that it was
> specified in both places, so I made sure to remove it from the kernel
> config file and the appropriate Makefiles.

If you looked at the Makefiles, you should have seen what I showed
above.

>>                                                    To do this, edit the files
>>     /usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile and /usr/src/sys/modules/vinum/Makefile and
>>     edit the CFLAGS variable to remove the -DVINUMDEBUG option.  If you have
>>     configured vinum into the kernel, either specify the line
>>
>>           options         VINUMDEBUG
>>
>>     in the kernel configuration file or remove the -DVINUMDEBUG option from
>>     /usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile as described above.
>
>     I had originally had this option specified in the kernel
> configuration file, then got confused.  So, I removed it from the kernel
> configuration file and the
> /usr/src/sbin/vinum/Makefile as well.  Obviously, I need to go back in
> and re-enable this option.

If it's disabled in both places, you should be OK.  I suspect you
haven't removed it from some place, or you haven't installed the new
version of /sbin/vinum.

Greg